Have your children ever said that the toothpaste burns or hurts their mouth? The chemicals in toothpaste are absorbed by the teeth, gums, mucous membranes of the mouth, and also other parts of the gastro-intestinal tract due to some toothpaste getting swallowed along with the saliva, especially by small children. The toxic chemicals ingested from toothpastes can cause poisoning of the teeth, bones, blood, muscles, nerves, and other parts of the body. Over a period of months and years, the whole body is adversely affected.
Conventional toothpastes contain artificial sweeteners like saccharin Saccharin is 300 times sweeter than sugar. It was banned as early as 1911, but the bans were lifted during the sugar rationing of WWI. A series of studies were done and saccharin was found to cause bladder cancers. The actual warning reads: ‘Use of this product may be hazardous to your health. This product contains saccharin, which has been determined to cause cancer in laboratory animals.’); Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (engine degreaser, garage/concrete floor cleaner, car wash soap, irritant, can form carcinogenic nitrosamines, accumulates in your body organs. In toothpaste it may weaken the enamel on teeth and may cause cavities. SLS is very abrasive and may burn the mouth); synthetic colours and flavours (as the name suggests, they are manufactured chemically); and polysorbate 80 (causes contact sensitivity and irritation) which may be contaminated with 1,4-doxane, a carcinogen. Almost all conventional brands contain fluoride (a hazardous chemical. Researchers linked it to cancer years ago. Fluoridated toothpaste is especially dangerous to young children who tend to swallow it after brushing their teeth. Supposed to stop tooth decay. Scientists are now linking fluoride to dental deformity, arthritis, allergic reactions, can lead to Crohn's disease. Is linked to cancer and causes problems for some sensitive people. Fluoride ingested in excessive amounts can cause various maladies like constipation, rheumatism, arthritis, chronic fatigue, heart disease and cancer. Most of the toxic chemicals are not even listed on the tubes of toothpastes. )
Conventional mouthwash is alcohol-based. Products with alcohol content higher than 25 percent can contribute to cancers of the mouth, tongue and throat when used regularly. Mouthwash can contain artificial flavours and colours, formaldehyde (due to its bad name it is sometimes hidden under the name DMDM hydantoin or MDM hydantion. Causes dermatitis, adverse effects, is very toxic when swallowed or inhaled, skin irritant, very toxic, a suspected carcinogen and linked to cancer); and sodium lauryl sulfate. Some mouthwash formulations include polysorbate 60 and polysorbate 80 (causes contact sensitivity and irritation), which may be contaminated with 1,4-dixane, a carcinogen and fluoride.
Many children are rushed to the emergency rooms each year due to alcohol poisoning from drinking mouthwash. One of the most popular brands of mouthwash is 26.9% alcohol. In adults, high alcohol mouthwash increases the risk of oral cancer by as much as 60%. People can register ‘over the limit’ when breathalised after using/swallowing mouthwash.
Next month, more on bathroom products.